Nov 17, 2009

Subject: In Puno!
Hola!
So I made it to Puno with very little side affects of the higher altitude therefore no need to break out the emergency oxygen tank yet! Hooray! The bus that I took to get here however, was a total snoozefest.  I thought we were gonna stop at all of these great ruins, and great museums along the way.  I didn't even take out my camera for most of it bc it was so lame.  I liked listening to our tourguide however. He was really really into accentuating certain parts of his speech like, "theee iiiin-kan emmm-pire, iiis ova fiiii-ve tooous-sand yirs olt." And, "pleeease go and ennn-joy the booo-fet luunch".   So. Never again am I doing a tour bus.

Anyways, the city of Puno is actually very poor and there's really not much else to see here besides Lake Titicaca. The guidebooks pretty much say to do your thing with the Lake, and get on outta here bc there aint nothin else.  (Btw, we passed through the very close neighboring city of Juliaca on the way here, and according to our tourguide, their main form of income is the black market. Watch your kidneys!  Kiiiinda scary.)

I unfortunately wasn't able to book a kayaking tour due to price, but I was able to do the next best thing which is to do it by boat. I leave early tomorrow morning and won't be back until Thursday evening at around 5ish.  I'm actually going to be doing a homestay with a family on one of the islands of Taquile (or Amanantani, I forget) tomorrow night!  Should be really interesting. And very cold. And probably rainy. But so rad!!! (Small chance I may not be able to do an update tomorrow night so don't be alarmed if you don't have anything in your inbox Thurs morning!!)

So my home for tonight and Thursday night is The Point (the same place that I stayed in in Mancora!). They are so really nice here and the bathrooms are super clean!! The main lady that works here is Audrey, and the number here is (51-51) 35 1427. I am staying in "the Owners".

Okay good night and I love you!!
Aileen :)

PS
Sorry, my phone was dying all day so I didn't take any pictures. I am however attaching a very boring photo of my room!!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile