Nov 29, 2009

Subject: Inca Trail was Inca-redible!
So I had drafted this email the day after I got back from the trail but didn't send it out for some reason. So today's gonna be a 2-fer!  Ill be sending out another one about Thanksgiving in a bit!

__________________


Buenos Tardes everyone!
So my BB has been on the fritz since I got to Aguas Calientes (the town of Machu Picchu) and I also  had no service for the 4 days while I was hiking. So yay for finally being connected to the emailing world again!

I am now currently on a train back to Cusco. I was originally supposed to go back yesterday, but the town of Aguas Calientes was so cute I decided to stay an extra day.  I also wanted to check out the natural hot springs here since my whole entire body is sooo sore from the hike!  Hot springs were muy, muy bueno. Very sulphur-y, and smelled kinda egg-y but it felt really nice on the muscles.  And I thankfully only experienced 2 oversized European men in tight Speedos while there - was expecting at least 5.

So the Inca Trail. Where do I begin?? And how should I say this without sounding like a total cheeseball? I will start off by saying that I want every one of you to do this trail sometime in your life. It was absolutely amazing and so incredibly beautiful.  From our campsite on the 2nd night being set right next to a huge gushing, natural waterfall, and a lunch on the 1st day set within the cloud forest of the Andes, and another lunch set on top of a mountain and above the clouds.  And every day the hike lead us through some of the most breathtaking views I've ever seen.  It was also probably one of the most physically demanding, yet incredibly rewarding, things I've ever done.  Over the past 4 days we hiked 40 km of steep uphills, downhills, uneven stone paths covered in wet leaves, muddy paths, narrow walkways along cliffs that dropped off into nowhere, and lots and lots and lots of stone steps.  I wouldn't be surprised if the number of steps I climbed and descended were in the mid-thousands - steps that have been put there by the Incans themselves hundreds of years ago!  On day 2, the most challenging day, we hiked uphill about 1200 meters to get to the highest summit at 4200 meters/13800 feet. It was soooo tiring but having lunch above the clouds is a pretty amazing thing.

So surprisingly, I actually enjoyed the hiking and the camping more than Machu Picchu itself.  I think having the porters carrying and doing everything for you helped a lot. Also, once we got to Machu Picchu, it was so fulll of tourists that it was kinda hard to really enjoy the beauty of it all.

Overall, the Inca Trail was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Navidad, our guide, was really great (and probably one of the most chill people I've ever met) and at our final lunch together said that we were the happiest group he has ever guided - he has guided over 400 of these hikes!! (I think my overall cheesiness may have been a part of this.)

Sidenote:  I have never craved and ate so much chocolate in my life.  I got a candy bar at each pit stop!  I didn't know this, but they actually recommend that you eat a lot of chocolate during the hike bc you burn so many calories! And I thought I was just totally PMS-ing!

Anyways, the town of Aguas Calientes was a total tourist trap, but very very cute. It kinda reminded me of a little ski town, only it was set deep in the really green mountains of Machu Picchu. I spent most of my time there with Kate and Laura - the 2 girls that I hiked with.  Along with another girl from Grenada, Spain from the Lake Titicaca boat trip!  We spotted each other at the hot springs - its kinda weird how often you run into the same people here.

Oh, another Sidenote! The other group of 11 that was with our agency were actually all Canadian doctors who are here on a volunteer trip!  And the hike was kind of their last thing they did before they flew back home. All very nice people. It also kinda made me feel much better hiking with them in case anything happened!

Hmm, I guess it wouldn't be right if I didn't mention the porters. They are super-human.  When I say they speed-hiked in front of us, they don't just walk - they run!!  With up to 40 kg of crap on their backs!!  It was really pretty amazing watching them go. And the food they prepared tasted like it had been cooking for hours!!  They fed us lots and lots of high-calorie, high-energy foods to keep us going. And lots of coca tea!  All very very yummy.  We also had a "happy hour" each day that consisted of things like hot chocolate and traditional Peruvian desserts. No booze though.  However the 3rd night was supposed to be the one nigbt where we were able to drink. I had one beer and was wasted! And passed out at around 9, just to get up again at 4 the next morning!

So I hope I did a good recap of my Machu Picchu experience. Its kinda hard to put all of this into words.

Okay, good night and I love you!!
Aileen :)

PS
No pics with this email bc it was too much to take out my phone while hiking.  Seriously, it was sometimes a struggle to even take a sip out my water bottle!!  I had my Canon at my side the whole time though so no worries there!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile